Friday, September 03, 2004

whew...what a day

This morning I got up, put on some sweat pants and a t-shirt (just as I said), and walked into Western Civ half asleep. Then I got through that class, went and got some coffee and a danish (my SECOND breakfast of the day). I ran home and changed into something a little nicer for my campus tour at Davidson. We got there an hour early for my appointment with the swim coach, so we just walked around a bit and watched their volleyball team. INCREDIBLE. They were awesome to watch - their reactions, their speed, their flexibility, and their communication. Seeing things like that makes me appreciate teams like that who work hard in everything they do and they get it right. In my meeting with the swim coach, he was sincere as possible with me about the circumstance of swimming for Davidson. He had no control over who got the scholarship since it is really more academically oriented, and that swimming and keeping up the grades will be overwhelming for me, especially since I have never swam year round. In other words, the chances of me getting a scholarship in ANYTHING is slim and I am not ready to bind myself to one college by early decision. Not now. Then we did the group tour. Interesting group: a guy from Connecticut, a girl from Florida, a girl from Ohio, and a girl from Louisiana. I was the only one from NC - pathetic. The first thing that caught my eye was the familiar looking scar on the guy's knee. I immediately asked him how his ACL reconstruction was. He looked at me in suprise and that broke the ice. The girls from Ohio and Louisiana were pretty clingy to their parents, so they didn't get too conversational. But the guy, me, and the girl from Florida were talking it up. The tour was great and when we went to see the dorm rooms, we coincidentally went into a swimmer's room and her and I talked about swimming and all that stuff. Everyone there seemed so friendly and open, the security was very trusted there because so many doors were left wide open with no people in their rooms. Then when we talked with the admissions representative, it got a little boring, and my mom about got into it with her (oh, geez). After that, the Louisiana girl left and everyone else was asking the Florida girl how they were coping with the hurricane. Come to find out, they were running from it with all of their things packed in a van and scheduled the tour at the last minute. The tour was great, but I am definitely going to have to do some thinking and more looking. The game tonight was an embarassing loss of 0-14 against North. Ugh. It has been a long day and I am fading fast. Tomorrow I can SLEEP IN (yes! yes!) and I will hopefully be on in the afternoon when I wake up.

No comments: