Tuesday, November 09, 2004

terrific tuesday try-out

Today started out with me feeling like complete $h!t. I didn't think I was going to make it through Western Civ, much less for the rest of the day. I popped about a total of 7 pills and walked out the door for class. School was just regular, but the afterschool bit got a little interesting. I skipped out on swim practice for our NHS induction ceremony practice. The advisor said that girls were REQUIRED to wear skirts. I hate, hate, HATE skirts. You wouldn't catch me dead in one. I was having a fit while all the guys sat back and snickered at the fact that they got to wear pants. Let THEM wear a skirt and see how much they like it. During the time we were setting up for the ceremony, I had to go to the bandroom to get some chairs. I saw my brother, spotted the All-County Band forms, and looked back at him. His eyes twinkled as I mouthed to him "I'll catch you later". And you wonder why Alan and I are so close? He's my partner in crime. The band director never really TOLD me if I could try out, but I assumed that it was okay since he hadn't gotten back to me on it. So the practice lasted until 4:30, and I hopped into my car and drove on over to East Davidson to do my thing. I innocently walked in, leaving the horn in the car for the time being, and found my brother. He slyly removed the form from his pocket as we exchanged a few words of thanks. What a conspiracy! I quickly filled out the form, signed myself up for the audition, ran to the car to get my horn, and ducked into the crowd that was warming up. Everything was going great until I was making my way over to the audition room to see how things were moving along. I saw him - my director. I did a quick spin move and darted into the noisy cafeteria. I weaved in and out of crowds casually as I made my way to the room - and got past the director without him noticing. While I was waiting for my turn, I noticed him passing up and down the halls as I stuck my head into a chattering group in order to keep from being seen. Then, it happened. He saw me. We locked eyes as I cringed. Crap, crap... I wanted to at LEAST audition before he found me so he couldn't do anything about it. He walked up to me and, in a smartass voice, asked what school I was representing. Of course, I replied HIS school. He told me that the director of the tryouts said that it wasn't a good idea for me to try out since I wasn't technically in the class. I glared at him as I clutched my horn. He was about to pay for my gas money if I got THIS far and he stopped me. He let out a sigh and said "But... since you are already here and all, I guess you can try out... just don't say anything". I was so relieved. All my nervousness and everything was released once I found I didn't have to constantly HIDE. Needless to say, I walked up in that bitch and got 3rd chair, top band.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Woohoo! Nice work :) Way to stick it to "The Man"! Fun story.